Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Gay Iranian In Need of Asylum In Malaysia

Ali fled Iran two years ago, but has still not received refugee status. The common complications that queer refugees experience are escalated for them because Ali is seriously depressed. Immediate attention by UNHCR is critical! Please read Ali's letter pleading for help, and then take action to make sure he is granted asylum within Malaysia.

Ali's letter:

"My name is Ali, and I am gay. In 2006, I fled Iran to Malaysia after I experienced many problems in Iran. In Malaysia I sought help from the UNHCR – I never thought that I would have to wait so long to have my rights recognized. I was not even allowed to enter the building the first time I went there. For four months, I was at the door every day pleading for help. Finally, I was granted an appointment for an interview for several months after that. Until now, I have been to many interviews, and every time, I have never given a solid answer, I am always told to come back the following month. I have now been here more than 2 years. Malaysia is a Muslim country, and like many predominantly Muslim countries, life is difficult for people like me. I am kindly asking you for your help so that I can leave here as soon as possible, so that I can live in a place that is free. A place where gay people do not feel shame, and do not feel like they have to hide who they are, a place where I know that the law protects our rights, and will not discriminate between me and anyone else, a place where I will not be beaten because of my sexuality."
Please show your support by writing to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in Kuala Lumpur to urge them to expedite the refugee process for Ali. There are two ways you can help:

Send your letters to mlslu@unhcr.org and please cc IRQR info@irqr.net for tracking purposes. Be sure to specify Ali's case number 354-07C01854.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to find that place too. I would try Canada, Spain, Norway, or Sweden. You won't find what you are looking for in the US.

Anonymous said...

Sadly, the poster above me is correct. You won't find those things in the United States. Just as an example, I live in a state where a government representative told people that gay people are worse than terrorists, in essence promoting violence against gay people.

Queers United said...

Let me guess Oklahoma, Sally Kern?

Anonymous said...

Check out the Global Pulse video on this, showing how different TV news around the world are covering the issue.

Watch it here: http://www.linktv.org/video/3438

I'm an intern with Link TV, the nonprofit that produces Global Pulse. Interesting to see how the rest of the world is reporting on the news.

Post a Comment