Sunday, December 28, 2008

LGBT Bullying Statistics

  • Nearly one-fourth of students from elementary through high school have reported that they have been harassed or bullied on school property because of their race, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, or disability.-2001-2002 California Student Survey
  • Six out of 10 American teens witness bullying at least once a day. -National Crime Prevention Council, 2003
  • Students hear anti-gay epithets 25 times a day, and teachers fail to respond to these comments 97% of the time. -Gay Lesbian Straight Educator’s Network.
  • One out of every 10 students who drops out of school does so because of repeated bullying. -Oklahoma Health Department, 2001
  • Harassment and bullying have been linked to 75 percent of school-shooting incidents. -US Secret Service Report, May 2002
  • Gay and lesbian youth are two to three times more likely to commit suicide than other youths, and 30 percent of all completed youth suicides are related to the issue of sexual identity. -Report to the Secretary's Task Force on Youth Suicide
  • Students who describe themselves as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgendered are five times more likely to miss school because of feeling unsafe. 28% are forced to drop out. -National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, 1984
  • 85% of teachers oppose integrating lesbian, gay and bisexual themes in their curricula.
  • -Making Schools Safe for Gay and Lesbian Youth: Report of the Massachusetts Governor's Commission on Gay and Lesbian Youth, 1993
  • More than 91 percent of LGBT students say they hear homophobic slurs or expressions frequently or often.-GLSEN 2003 National School Climate Survey
  • Nearly 58 percent of LGBT students have had property stolen or deliberately damaged at school. -GLSEN 2003 National School Climate Survey
  • More than 64 percent of LGBT students say they feel unsafe at school because of their sexual orientation. -GLSEN 2003 National School Climate Survey

Crossposted via the Alliance School.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was a victim of bullying from middle school...and sexual abuse.

It took me several years to come to terms with it, but I finally talked about it about two weeks ago...

I wrote a blog about it, too. I hope it helps someone that's been in the same situation to know that one can overcome it!

http://joietothemax.wordpress.com/2008/12/18/my-very-own-fireside-chat-121808/

Laurie said...

I don't allow bullying of ANY kind
from my kids....They know better....
In fact, there were a couple of my
boys that took up for this kid that
was being picked on....I'm so proud
of them :)

I wish I could take care of ALL these
children....I would be a happy person :)

TACKLE YOU HUGS!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

this is tolerated hate speech. Children learn this crap from adults. Our president elect says nothing when his new preacher compares same sex relationships with pedophilia. This society is rotten to the core.

Anonymous said...

What really shocks me is the 85% of teachers who don't support integration of LGBT materials into curricula.

These are allegedly highly educated professionals and they still oppose gay rights.

I say we yank their teaching certificates.

Sammi Renee said...

Thankfully I have not been a victim of such bullying. Me and all my lebian or bisexual friends stand together as a pack so it may be more out of intimidation than anything else. I still hear people use words such as "fagot" and "dyke" as insults to straight people which I have always been extremely defensive about. I understand though, that ignorant people will always be there. It amazed me completely that so many teachers won't do anything for gays who are bullies and won't integrate LGBT material into the curricula. Well, I suppose knowing this information will cause me, and all the other LGBT persons I plan to inform, to stand together and fight for the rights we all know we deserve. To me, saying that homosexuality is wrong, is like saying mental retardation is wrong. Both were born different, and both have to fight to be treated the same as everyone else. Why this is, I suppose I will never completely understand. We just want to be happy. Is that really such a 'bad' thing??

Being a teen lesbian, I will now and forever more stand up for myself and all other LGBTQ's out there!

Anonymous said...

For those who have the silly idea that schools should DISCOURAGE bullying...

You may be sorry to hear that http://allianceschoolnet.bbnow.org/index.php

The Alliance School in Milwaukee, that weirdo public school where goths and GLBT kids and fannish geeks and nerds and punks and emos and neo-hippies and atheists and other victims of American bully culture are provided a guaranteed safe haven, is in financial trouble.

They have had another budget cut, with others possible down the road, and may have to get rid of a position or two (i.e., one-twelfth or one-sixth of their entire staff) if things don't get better.

There's an article due out in a few weeks in TIME magazine, in which both I and our daughter Kelly are possibly quoted. I just pray the school survives long enough for the article to appear.

Anybody know a millionaire? I know Bill Gates came from a rich family, but was he never bullied? Did nobody gaybash young Ellen Degeneres? Was the artist once again known as Prince never mocked and beaten up? Has Oprah forgotten how tough it can be to be a kid in Milwaukee?

There's a donation page on the Net
http://allianceschoolnet.bbnow.org/donate.php

Donations can also be sent straight to the school, c/o lead teacher (they don't have a principal) Tina Owen.

The Alliance School
ATTN: Tina Owen
850 W. Walnut Street
Milwaukee, WI 53205

Post a Comment