Thursday, November 19, 2009

Oklahoma City Gays Boycott Flip's Restaurant

Flip's Wine Bar and Trattoria has found itself in a new battle after its owner Gail Vines a member of the Oklahoma City School Board voted twice to fire an openly gay teacher. The teacher Mr. Joe Quigley believes he wasn't fired for being gay, but for being an advocate on behalf of gay rights and supporting students efforts to start a gay-straight alliance.

A court order has demanded an immediate reinstatement of Quigley because it believes bias was involved in his firing and the court determined he was qualified to remain a teacher. The school district has gone against the courts decision and it remains to be seen what the outcome will be.

Meanwhile gay activists are boycotting Flip's because they believe the owner has anti-gay bias.

Please respectfully let the owner know your thoughts and your decision to boycott her establishment:

Flip's Wine Bar and Trattoria
5801 N Western
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
405-843-1527

7 comments:

Craig said...

I started this boycott and if you want to join us, we have a Facebook page. It's at http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/group.php?gid=162746294473&ref=ts

You do have to request to join as we had a lot of those against us bombarding the page with hateful comments, but I accept any who request it.

I know for a fact that employees of Flip's watch the number of participants we have.

Thanks!

libhom said...

I wouldn't go there if I lived in the area.

Dave said...

Flips is (was) a great place to hang out for some drinks. Ah well, the food is mediocre anyways!

teddw2ds said...

I called to let them know that my, my boyfriend, his sister and her husband would NOT be eating there last night, and that they would not get the $200 we spent on dinner and drinks. I suspect they are feeling the heat, because the hostess sounded pretty desperate to convince me that they are not anti-gay.

Anonymous said...

As a former employee of Flip's I must say this is very strange. Gail is not anti gay as she (Flip's) have had and still do employee "gay people". Having said that, she is the most hateful and vindictive person I have ever worked for. Example- my best friend passed away and she told me " Your probably just wanting off work", and later " It's time to get the fuck over it", so I'll let you form your own conclusion.

Anonymous said...

I think it has closed its door for good.

Anonymous said...

I have gone to Flip's and will continue to go to Flip's. The food is excellent, the ambiance is relaxing, and the staff is extremely attentive. All of these are qualities that are passed down from the top. I would never dream to "boycott" anyone because of political reasons. Either the food is great or is not. It's time the Gay community got a f'in clue!

Post a Comment