Monday, February 8, 2010

Sarah Silverman: "Until Equal Marriage, No Marriage!"

Comedian Sarah Silverman has been running around promoting her new show picked up by the queer TV channel LOGO. In several appearances she has spoken positively of gay people and more specifically marriage equality.

On a recent interview on ABC's The View she said:

"I can not imagine wanting to get married right now at this time in America. If you’re for equal rights, why would you get married right now? It’s like joining a country club that doesn’t allow blacks or Jews. There’s no difference. Why would I wanna join that club? It’s gross.”



Thank Sarah Silverman via Twitter for her affirming public comments.

*Photo courtesy of TV Squad Julia on Flickr.

2 comments:

outoutout said...

While I certainly appreciate Sarah Silverman's solidarity, I really wish that she (and other well-meaning heterosexuals) would stop boycotting marriage for my sake.

Marriage in and of itself is not some exclusive straights-only institution (unless you buy into all the NOM rhetoric); the problem is that the current laws in America only allow opposite-sex couples to enter into a legal marriage. I don't know about anyone else, but I thought the whole point of fighting for marriage equality was because it's something we WANT - well, some of us, anyway. Marriage is a GOOD thing. It's what we want, too.

So for pete's sake, if you want to get married and the law allows you to marry your partner, then go ahead and DO IT! Believe me, I would do the same thing if I could. Help us change the laws, but please don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Diane J Standiford said...

Silverman also replied with a laugh, after Joy Behar said, "And it gives you an excuse not to marry," ---"That too." ha ha I can't take these str8s seriously. I worked with one like that, but the minute she lost her health insurance, yep, they married. Nice safety net.

Post a Comment